Heywood Gardens

At the Midlands Park Hotel

Completed in 1912, the property consists of gardens, lakes, woodland and architectural features. It was transferred to State ownership in November 1993 from the Salesian Fathers who had taken care of it since 1941.

The gardens are composed of four elements linked by a terrace that ran along the front of the house, which now no longer exists. In the sunken garden, circular terraces descend to an elongated pool, where small statues of turtles gaze inquisitively at the grand fountain. On the top level a loggia, roofed with red tiles, includes an inscription taken from the writings of Alexander Pope. Highlights include a rose called Natalie Naples and Johnston's Blue geraniums, to name just a few.

Address: Ballinakill, Laois.  

Call: +353 (0) 57 8733563  E-mail: heywoodgardens@opw.ie